Monday, January 17, 2011

They Say [Common]

They say don't go grocery shopping when you're hungry. They should also say don't go grocery shopping when you're sad and lonely.

I knew I was in a bad spot down here when one day I went into the Taco Bell by the school and the manager acknowledged me by my food order. That's an embarrassing and slightly troubling thing to have happen to you. And before coming down here, I had been doing so well. I borrowed the "no fast food" idea from a friend back in the summer - and I had about 2.5 good months before the Dallas thing happened, and then it went to crap. So I said to myself, "self, you need to get to the grocery store and get some groceries, and stop eating out" and so I've done that, but......

It's a strange thing, shopping for yourself (after shopping for two for so long). When I was in college I did it all the time - and it's not like I was the world's most horrible eater back then. I wasn't a super-vegan eco-dork, but I also didn't just eat frozen and microwave stuff all the time, either. So I go the store down here and a I wander around, and I just feel helpless, and a little inept. So i wander the aisles, and I pick things up, and I put them back, and then I end up with a few basic things and I take them back to the apartment. Then I never want to eat them.

The work schedule doesn't help, though. This quarter on Mondays I have class from 6-10pm, so I need to figure out dinner options. Wednesday and Thursday I have class from 1-5 and 6-10, so lunch and dinner are issue. If I get a routine going, I can make food Sunday and Tuesday, and use the leftovers during class days. But, that implies an amount of motivation that I don't currently have. So, what generally happens is I don't eat during class, and then I get back here at 11pm and I'm starving, and I eat then go to bed. And then I feel bad about myself and when I go to the store I think about that and then I wander around and start the cycle over.

Of all the things I thought might be an issue when I took this job, food was not one of them.

6 comments:

V said...

ok, i think your schedule is part of the issue for sure!! if you could skype and cook with the Mrs. it would make things much easier. boo to being 100's of miles away!

do you skype?

jmlo said...

We do skype - that's my next bolg entry, actually!!

mm said...

There is no shame in Hot Pockets.

OK a little shame.

jmlo said...

there's plenty of shame in a hot pocket. or as jim gaffigan says, a diarrhea pocket.

have you seen this?

hot pocket poster

Anonymous said...

funny. 'what will you eat' was one of the first things i choked out through my tears, and has been a common thread of concern for me since you left. from three crunchy-no lettuce to sriracha rice, i love you.

V said...

loving the hot pocket poster...