Thursday, January 13, 2011

elevation [u2]

How hard is it to use an elevator?  Not hard at all.  Here in Dallas, the general trend I’ve seen is that these students are horrible at elevators.  Maybe it's a social skills thing, maybe it's a spoiled kid thing. Who knows.  All I know is that it drives me bonkers.  Now, elevator usage isn't required at the school - it's only 5 floors after all.  But I use it sometimes when my knee is being screwy – going down stairs is fine, but up can be a chore.  I also use it  when I'm going to some classes - if I have stuff to hand out or give back I take a cart cause it's easier that way.  In general, I think these kids use the elevators because they are lazy (and, if elevator usage is any indication, I think they might actually kill themselves on the stairs.)

Let's say I’m on the elevator, going to the fifth floor - I'll get on and move to the back, since I'm getting off last.  Now that's just me - I don't really mind where you stand.  But let's say a person gets on the 2nd floor, and is going to the 3rd.  They'll also move all the way to the back.  Then, when the doors open on the 3rd floor, it's like they forget they’re going there, and wait until people try to get on or the doors start to close, then they want to get off.  Or, when the doors open, the people who are in the front seems to forget that other people exist, and they may want off the elevator. “why are we on the 3rd floor? I didn't push the button for 3”. Yeah, but maybe one of the other 8 people on here did.

Since this is a fancy art school, all the non culinary kids have these giant rolling portfolio things - like one of the rolling backpack things that started to be popular with lazy students as we were leaving school.  Only these things are ridiculous.  24 inches wide (maybe even 30), 40 inches tall plus handle, about 10 inches deep.  The kids will roll them on and then leave them propped at a 45 degree angle - so the 10-12 person elevator becomes a 4-5 person plus portfolios elevator.   And watching one student try to maneuver their portfolio past another one - hilarious.  Given their degree program, I'd like to think they know something about spatial relationships – I’m scared about the future of design if this is the best they can do.  Plus despite the large size and the pocket/strap placement, there is always something jutting out at an odd angle. I don't know why an 18 ruler needs to be stabbing me in the leg when your thing is 40 inches tall - if should fit nicely inside.  Also, those straps on the underside are for your t-square. Why would you even need to strap it onto the bag perpendicularly? 

Another elevator situation I can't seem to get enough of is the bum rush.  While it may take these kids forever to try to exit, they can't wait to get on, apparently.  Generally, when I am getting on an elevator I wait for people to get off. 1.)  to make room, and b.) to make it easier.  Not the students at AI Dallas.  Before the doors even open, these kids are right there trying to get legs or arms into the cab.   I mean, seriously?!   And if two bodies meet at the door?  They'll generally push past the person exiting, so they can get on.  So I've taken to moving to the door as soon as we approach my destination floor.  I'll just stand front and center.  It's great when I've got my cart, cause I'll turn it sideways - which blocks just enough of the door that they can't get by.  When the door opens and they can’t get on they get so confused – it’s like their world just falls apart.  Take that, jerks. 

Finally, how about those pesky reverse direction students.  So aside from the lighted arrows, as the doors open the elevators in this building will ding once when going up and twice when going down. Despite this, kids still get on expecting it to go the other direction.  Now as I’ve said, there are only 5 floors - so it's not a long ride in either direction.  The elevators are slow, but I've seen kids get on, realize they’re going the wrong way, and get off on the next floor to take the other elevator.  Sometimes, if my trip is short enough - like getting a room key from the library or dropping something off at the front desk, I'll actually be on the elevator going the opposite direction when the students get back on.  My favorite, though, is when a reverse direction student gets on and continually pushes the floor they want.  We start to go the other way and they realize their mistake.  Apparently what they don't realize is that the elevator won't recognize their destination until it's going that direction.  Say I'm going 1 to 5, and an RD kid gets on at 2. He pushes 1, and as soon as we start going up the 1 light goes off. So at 3 he pushes it again. And it goes off again. And at 4 - same thing.  It never fails to amuse me.  I always wonder if he feels defeated every time it goes off.  And once the elevator starts its descent and his light stays on, is the swell of pride he must feel the highlight of his day?  Probably so.

3 comments:

V said...

i do believe we've been over what my advice is regarding elevator rules... rule #1 no flatulence... it's gross. rule #2 if you are able, take the stairs, the number of floors is still debatable but 4 is a safe number.

:)

The Divine Ms Abbey D said...

This is awesome. I love observing people like this. Keep them coming.

jmlo said...

Yay, comments!!

I agree with the flatulence rule, and would like to extend it to no body odor as well. some of these kids stink to high heaven.

I do use the stairs when I'm not bogged down with things.