Friday, January 14, 2011

Celebration Day [Black Crowes]

Looks like we might call this "Music Friday".......


so a while back the black crowes released (actually the record label did) a new 2 disc album. originally I thought it was some sort of greatest hits redux, but it is actually a double disc acoustic set.

the thing with acoustic albums is that they are generally just a low-fi recording of the regular song - "oops, we recorded that take w/o plugging into the amp - let's call it an acoustic version and go home...." at first I was afraid that this would be like that - or that the songs would be similar to the 'acoustic' versions that were featured as bonus tracks in the boxed set. or worse, acoustic and live - which is the kiss of death for songs. that wasn't the case on this album.

what you get is 20 songs, some hits and some lesser known, all newly arranged for this album. there are mandolins, harmonicas, crazy gospel singers - these versions pull all the stops, and make some of the best renditions of these songs I have heard. What I really like is that they took the time to re-vamp the arrangements - some might not like that the rhythm and tone (or in a few spots the lyrics) have been changed, but it's a nice alternative. And it says something about the group that they can comfortably change their songs so much and still have fun with them.

as a special bonus, this album only costs $10. the Crowes set the price as a 'thank you' to the fans for 20+ years of support.

here's a pretty good example of the differences.


New Version


Original Version

2 comments:

V said...

hello, my friends call me V and I am an Amorica junkie.

i like these guys... thanks for the reminder.

jmlo said...

Ha! You crack me up - but glad i could be of service. I really do like the new CD.

I'd have to say southern harmony or shake your money maker probably would be my favorites, though their greatest hits cd gets lots of play, cause it's got like 3 songs from every album - which is good for me.