Tuesday, January 11, 2011

working for the man [roy orbison]

Last week I sat through a lovely (not) info session about social media, and how it pertains to me & my job.  I called it Facebook Training.  I don't think the lady who was giving the session found that very cute.

They went through this whole deal about keeping our place of business detached from our profiles, etc.  The options were to either remove any affiliation, or to keep the affiliation and then have to go through a whole disclaimer - every time you post something.  I don't know about you, but the last thing I want to type or read every time is "I am a full time faculty member at XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.  The opinions expressed herein are entirely my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions of the my employer or it's parent company."

Basically, the whole point of the thing was don't mix business and pleasure.  Don't be facebook friends with the students, don't go around posting crazy political views or other things if you want to keep the school's info in your profile, etc.  Since I don't believe in facebook, the only impact this has on me is regarding this blog.  So instead of naming it something that would make it easier to tie to the school, I went with This Is Not Made Up - I figured that would be a versatile title that I can use down the road, as well, and it avoids any link to my current job.  I suppose that if <i>you</i> know where I work and someone finds you and tortures you they could get that information from you, and maybe use it against me, but I don't really plan to go all cult-crazy with my thoughts and opinions, so you should be fine.

1 comment:

V said...

welcome to your little space on the interweb!