Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Say "Ten" [Reel Big Fish]

I keep meaning to tell you more about school, but I've been feeling overwhelmed with my classes (and the new schedule came out for next quarter - more on that later)

So instead of school stories, you get more random stories. this one is fun, though. and it really happened.

Overheard at Subway this afternoon. when I say lady it means crazy cat-lady wackadoo that was in line in front of me. and subway means subway employee.

lady: "I'll have the veggie delight, 6". But put turkey and cheese on it."
subway: "So you want a 6" turkey?"
lady: "No a 6" veggie with turkey and cheese."
subway: "Ma'am, they're the same thing."
lady: "I just want a 6" veggie with turkey and cheese. charge me extra, that's fine."
subway: "We don't have that button. There is no 'add meat' button. Why don't you order a turkey sandwich?"
lady: "because it's not that same. what I want is a veggie, with turkey and cheese on it."

at this point, we had pretty much exhausted all the patience and knowledge of english that the subway employee had. So I stepped in.

me: "actually, ma'am, they are the same thing."
lady: "no, because the turkey has something else on it."
me: "it has whatever you want to put on it. the same as every sandwich. it's how this place works. you pick a meat and then you add vegetables on top."
lady: "but the veggie sandwich has/" (i interrupted, so sue me)
me: "ma'am, the veggie has as many or as few of those (pointing) as you want to put on your sandwich. just the same as the turkey, or the cold cut combo, or the bacon chicken whatever. you pick your meat and then you add stuff to it."
lady: "but it says up there that the turkey has something else."
me: "where. I see a picture of a sandwich that says turkey, and it has some vegetables on it. how is that different than what you want."
lady: "oh, I see now. I was looking over here, where it says turkey and ham."

-------------
Are you kidding me? all of that, because she can't read the full menu. I thought the guy behind me was going to go through the roof. Then she went on about gluten free breads. It's not like this a is a complicated fast food place - if it's that challenging, then don't eat here. and if you really care about gluten free bread, maybe ask about that first.

so from the time I walked in to the time I walked out, 10+ minutes elapsed, because some nut-job doesn't know how to order in a subway restaurant. Happy Monday, everyone.

1 comment:

V said...

ha! good thing you stepped in... wonder how that whole story would have gone down without you? ha. there are some serious coo coo crazy people out there! you think... how does crazy cat lady make it through life everyday. i'm just sayin'... ordering a sandwich is a fairly easy on the day-to-day difficulty scale!