Sunday, February 06, 2011

Protection [Massive Attack]

Fun fact about Dallas - I can leave my apartment and within 5 minutes arrive at a condom store. Technically, I have my pick of about 15 different stores.

There are two different 'condom store' chains operating around here - Condom Sense and Condoms To Go. Basically, these are 'adult-oriented novelty shops' It seems that until recently, the conservatives in Texas (big surprise there) didn't want to believe that people frequented these types of stores, so they were outlawed. To get around that, some geniuses found a loophole that lets you operate stores intended to sell condoms, while having a collection of adult novelties as well. as long as the store was clearly marketed as an access to preventative measures, then the other stuff was ancillary. In the past few years, they finally repealed the ban on adult stores, so now there places that are blatant about the items they sell - but the condom stores have hung around.

I did a quick google map search for the two condom stores, and within 5 miles there are 16 locations I can get to. Awesome. It's a good thing my grandma has no intention of visiting me while I'm down here. "look grandma - that's the building where I work, there's my grocery store, there's a condom store, there's the book store. That place has great tacos, there's another condom store, a different condom store, some illegal day workers, a condom store, and here's my apartment!!"

1 comment:

V said...

this is just ridiculousness! condom stores!? lol! i guess there is no excuse for those promiscuous texans!