Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Working Class Hero [John Lennon]

Aside from what I've formally trained to do, in my life so far I've done a number of other things for money. Every job helped to shape my attitudes and ethics at work. And reflecting on them all, I realize (more than ever) that I love the career I've chosen - even if I can't do it right now. And I don't see how people back in the day just changed careers so easily - even if I didn't like what I'm supposed to be doing, other professions are so choosy that I can't even get a foot in the door.

But, back to that that non-career job list. Since the age of 15, I have:

bagged groceries
worked at 2 different Dairy Queen restaurants
washed dishes in a local pizza joint
made sandwiches at Mr. Goodcents
shelved books in a library
worked overnight at a textbook warehouse
worked at/co-managed a bowling alley
sold clothes at The Buckle
roofed houses
worked as an outdoor TV cable installer
stocked the backroom shelves at Target
taught interior design to a bunch of spoiled brats

It's not the most exotic list - I'm sure some of you have done crazier things. It's not even a really long list. It's just my list. And like I said, it's shaped the way I act and perform as a working adult. although not every action at every job was the smartest. at those various jobs listed above I have:

stretched the truth to get a job (Mr. Goodcents)
stretched the truth to quit a job (Mr. Goodcents)
been let go for 'insurance purposes' (pizza place)
quit without notice (bowling alley)
quit after arguing with the boss (bowling alley)
been accused of nepotism (the second Dairy Queen)
made out on company time (the second Dairy Queen)
used company resources to job hunt (bowling alley)
nearly severed a tendon with a rusty knife (roofing)
nearly fallen off of a ladder (roofing)
used my place of employment as my own personal playground (bowling alley)
turned down a promotion by quitting (target)
moved 600 miles from home to do a job it turns out I really dislike, but am now stuck in (take a guess on this one...)


next time, let's talk about bagging groceries.

2 comments:

mm said...

God...the bowling alley. You know, there was a short stretch there were that was the best job on earth?

jmlo said...

true story. there were some good, good times there. then they were lost, and all I have left is bitterness and christmas tree memories.