Saturday, May 14, 2011

Say My Name [Destiny's Child]

So the other day I sent an email to my father-in-law, giving him some info on a memory card adapter for his phone. I was unsure how to start the email, so I went to my standard fallback, which is Mr. Last Initial. He responded to my email with his normal brevity, and signed off with his first name. Now, I'm sure at some point in time he told me to call him by his first name. I dont remember it happening, but it must have happened. I know I have done it a few times, but mostly I get by without having to call him anything - it's just "hey" and "howdy" and "sir" the like. Same with the mother-in-law. it's either Mrs. Last Name, or it's "ma'am" It's not that I'm uncomfortable with calling them by their first names. Okay, actually it is. Also, I don't know that I feel right calling them mom and dad. Now I have no problem saying things like "happy mother's day" and "happy father's day" Strange. I talked to KTO about it, and she told me I was being silly - which i already knew.

We talked about how the "Call me XX" conversation would have went, and how we could both hear/imagine him saying it. Then she said that he probably even made a lame joke like "call me X, or call me Dad, just don't call me late to dinner" - and i said that i couldn't imagine him saying that. it's something i use, but i don't picture him using it. so that brought us to the topic of how I'm similar to her dad in some ways. We call this the Fat Father Syndrome - which was taken from this (the source starts at 2.35, but the rest of it is worth watching, too):



Now sometimes they (whoever they are) say that guys marry their mothers and girls marry their fathers. I know without a doubt that KTO is nothing like my mother, except they are both super awesome at making peanut butter sandwiches with a smooth, even peanut butter spread, and the same goes for their cake frosting skills. other than that, nothing. But did KTO marry her father? We both make up answers to things, we both use some of the same not-quite-swears (god bless america being a favorite) we both have randomly and unnecessarily short tempers at times. Maybe she really does have FFS.


--------------
video from S3E3 of the cartoon Home Movies, one of the funniest shows to ever be shown. check it out if you don't know.

No comments: