Monday, May 09, 2011

Fast Car [Tracy Chapman]

So today, as a special mother's day treat to myself, I went to the theater and saw Fast 5. That's right, I said it. I paid money to see the 5th installment in the Fast and Furious franchise. And I'm not emabarassed to admit it.

As a movie goes, it was okay. not terrible, not great. As a movie about fast and/or furious driving, it was slightly less than great.

If I were to rank the franchise in terms of overall movieness, it would go 1, 4, 2, 5, 3.
If I were to rank them in terms of fast and/or furious driving, it would go 1, 2, 4, 3, 5.

The thing about fast driving movies - the FF franchise, or the Italian Job, or pretty much anything with Jason Statham in it - is that when the movie is over, and for the next 3 or 4 days, I tend to drive faster/more aggressively than normal. This doesn't happen with other types of movies - i don't think I can beat people up after fighting movies, I don't think I can hunt and kill humanoid aliens with infrared vision and creepy faces, I don't think I can pull off bank heists (actually, I do).

The driving thing happens because it's actually something I can do well. I don't really think that I can drive like they (the stuntmen) do, but I can drive confidently, and I know how to handle my little 4 cylinder import. Being that this "driving bug" falls upon me after movies, I sometimes think that I need to get a big old clunker of a car for my next vehicle, just to keep me from zipping around like a jerk. but then I think, where's the fun in that?

And since my little car is almost ready to retire, I've spent some time tonight looking for a new car to race around in.

2 comments:

V said...

that's funny that you drive fast after seeing those movies! maybe it's funnier that you like the FF franchise! :)

i guess it's no different than when i see a Sex and the City show or movie... I all of the sudden want to buy expensive clothes and bags!

jmlo said...

same thing, only yours is more dangerous to the pocketbook, i think!

and i have no shame in liking the FF franchise (except #3 - it was horrible, and I don't like it at all)